Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Cincinnati Breweries / Remaining Brewery Structures
Side A: Cincinnati Breweries
The Brewery District contains the majority of Cincinnati's remaining breweries and associated structures such as icehouses, bottling buildings, offices, and stables. With the first brewery north of Liberty Street founded in 1829, German immigrants fueled the growth of the brewing industry; by 1891, Cincinnati breweries produced over four barrels of beer per resident annually, almost twice as much as any other city in the nation. The brick breweries were typically designed in the Romanesque Revival style, and larger complexes often covered multiple city blocks. To produce the lager style beer common by 1860, typically very deep basements were dug or tunnels were cut into hillsides for the lagering process. At the height of production, 18 of the 36 breweries in greater Cincinnati were operating in Over-the-Rhine and the West End. Prohibition in 1919 closed most of the breweries permanently.
Side B: Remaining Brewery Structures
[A map shows locations for:]
1. Klotter & Sons/Bellevue
4. Dayton St./John Hauck/Red Top
5. Schoenling/Boston Beer
7. Sohn/Mohawk/Clyffside/Red Top
8. George Weber/Jackson
9. Christian Moerlein
11. John Kauffman
13. Schaller Bros. Main St.
Erected 2008 by The Brewery District Community Urban Redevelopment Corp and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 72-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 7.167′ N, 84° 31.341′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is on McMicken Avenue 0 miles west of Dunlap Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is on the north side of Hanna Playground. Marker is at or near this postal address: 244 W. McMicken Avenue, Cincinnati OH 45214, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cincinnati Public Markets / The Northern Liberties (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 0.7 miles away); Auburn Avenue (approx. ¾ mile away); William Howard Taft / Robert Alphonso Taft (approx. ¾ mile away); Laurel-Lincoln World War II Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Robert Alphonso Taft (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Betts House, 1804 (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Gamble House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cincinnati.
Regarding Cincinnati Breweries / Remaining Brewery Structures.
Also see . . . History of the Cincinnati Brewery District. (Submitted on November 26, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 2,440 times since then and 106 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.