Elloree in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Shiloh A.M.E. Church
This church, founded in 1886, was organized by Revs. D.A. Christie and C. Heyward with Sol Ellerbe and Galas Culay, Walter Montgomery, and Henry Tilley as stewards. Its first services were in a brush arbor, and its first sanctuary was built nearby in 1887. This sanctuary, a frame building later covered in brick veneer was built in 1892.
Member Robert Lee Williams (1862-1949) was a community leader and progressive farmer. When he died at the age of 87 Elloree businesses closed in his memory and the New York Times called him "generally and sincerely mourned." The church also hosted numerous meetings during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s seeking to desegregate local schools and businesses.
Erected 2003 by Williams-Waymer-Carrion-Murray Family Reunion. (Marker Number 38-28.)
Location. 33° 31.622′ N, 80° 34.671′ W. Marker is in Elloree, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on West Cleveland Street (State Road 47) near Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elloree SC 29047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles Snider House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away); Santee~Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Good Hope Picnic (approx. 5.6 miles away); Jericho Methodist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Shady Grove Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Fort Watson (approx. 8.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elloree.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.