Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Anne's Parochial School

 
 
St. Anne's Parochial School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 25, 2009
1. St. Anne's Parochial School Marker
Inscription.
[Front]:
St. Anne’s Church, the first Catholic church in York County, was founded in 1919 by the Rev. William A. Tobin of Columbia. The first building, erected on Saluda Street in 1920, closed in 1961. St. Anne’s opened its first parochial school in the church rectory in 1951, with 17 pupils in the kindergarten and first grade. A second grade was added in 1952. A new St. Anne’s School opened here in 1956.

[Reverse]:
In 1954 St. Anne’s became the first school in S.C. to integrate, when it enrolled 5 students from St. Mary’s, the predominantly African-American Catholic church in Rock Hill. The school included grades 1-8 by 1957, and by 1961 had 15 black students enrolled. Worship services for St. Anne’s Church were held in the school auditorium 1982-1994. In 1998, St. Anne School moved to a new facility on Bird Street.
 
Erected 2009 by Culture & Heritage Museums of York County, St. Anne School, and The Hands of Mercy, Inc. (Marker Number 46-39.)
 
Location. 34° 54.822′ N, 81° 1.11′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is on South Jones Avenue 0.1 miles south of Arch Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 648 South Jones Ave, Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
St. Anne's Parochial School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 25, 2009
2. St. Anne's Parochial School Marker
Reverse side
At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sims Home Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); Standard Cotton Mill / Highland Park Manufacturing Co. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rock Hill High School (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders (approx. 0.8 miles away); White Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named The White Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); East Town Neighborhood (approx. 0.9 miles away); Water Trough (approx. 0.9 miles away); The "3C's" Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); Upper Land's Ford Road (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rock Hill.
 
Also see . . .  St. Anne Parish, Rock Hill. Official website of St. Anne Parish, Rock Hill, S.C. (Submitted on January 29, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.EducationNotable Buildings
 
St. Anne's Parochial School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 25, 2009
3. St. Anne's Parochial School Marker
St. Anne's on Bird Street image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 25, 2009
4. St. Anne's on Bird Street
Current structure on former St. Anne's site image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 25, 2009
5. Current structure on former St. Anne's site
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 629 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement