Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Cincinnati's First Playground
Lytle Park Series
For many years, Lytle Park echoed the shrieks and laughter of Cincinnati's children. It was dedicated as the city's first public playground, a respite for already crowded inner-city dwellers, on the sunny afternoon of July 6, 1907. The Lytle estate gave way to shade trees, benches, swings, a wading pool and a bandstand.
Erected by Park Board Volunteers, the Garden Center of Greater Cincinnati, and Public-Spirited Citizens.
Location. 39° 6.031′ N, 84° 30.24′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Click for map. Marker is one of a series on a wall near the SSW corner of Lytle Park, about 250 feet SE of the intersection of East 4th Street and Ludlow Street. The markers are about 150 feet east of the Guilford Building, 421 East 4th Street. Marker is in this post office area: Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Washington (here, next to this marker); The Taft Museum (here, next to this marker); President William Howard Taft (here, next to this marker); "Lincoln - The Man" (here, next to this marker); "Mike" Mullen Lytle's Surroundings (here, next to this marker); Lytle At Christmas (here, next to this marker); Lytle Park (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Cincinnati.
Categories. • 20th Century • Charity & Public Work • Entertainment • Man-Made Features • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 666 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.