Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coupland in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton

 
 
United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton Marker
Inscription. An outstanding patriot who acted as Secretary of War and Marine in Republic of Texas and later served the state in many roles, Morgan Hamilton in 1837 obtained a 1009-acre land grant in this area. While his brother A.J. Hamilton was Governor (1865-66), he retrieved for Texas some bonds sent to Europe during the Civil War. In 1870-77 he served as a United States Senator from Texas. His nephew Theodore Van Buren Coupland (1836-90) settled here and in 1887 founded town of Coupland on land that formerly belonged to Senator Hamilton.
 
Erected 1975 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9102.)
 
Location. 30° 27.58′ N, 97° 23.44′ W. Marker is in Coupland, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Hoxie Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coupland TX 78615, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Peters United Church of Christ (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lund (approx. 3.7 miles away); Battle of Brushy Creek (approx. 3.9 miles away); Type Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Carlson (approx. 4.3 miles away); James O. Rice (approx. 4.3 miles away); Mager Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of Willow Ranch School (approx. 6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Coupland.
 
Also see . . .  Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
Categories. GovernmentSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 805 times since then and 30 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement