“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Pond Springs Community and School

Pond Springs Community and School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. Pond Springs Community and School Marker
Inscription. After James O. Rice settled in the 1850s near a spring-fed pond, the area was called “Pond Springs”. By 1854 a log school building was erected near the pond (1 Mi. N) and also served for worship and a social center. Thomas S. Rutledge ran a nearby store, post office and blacksmith shop. After the post office closed in 1880 and the Austin & Northwestern Railroad bypassed Pond Springs in 1882, the community declined. The school was consolidated in 1903 with Jollyville, moved to this site in 1927, and became part of the Round Rock district in 1969.
Erected 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9325.)
Location. 30° 26.772′ N, 97° 45.911′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Williamson County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7825 Elkhorn Mountain Trl, Austin TX 78729, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jollyville Community and School (approx. ¾ mile away but has been reported missing); Jolly Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pond Springs Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Waters Park (approx. 3.9 miles away); Granite for the State Capitol (approx. 4.2 miles away); Merrilltown Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Balcones Fault Aids Colonization of Texas (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. EducationSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 75 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement