Liberty Hill in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rock House Community
Another church, Macedonia which later became a missionary Baptist congregation, was organized in 1873. Early services and camp meetings were conducted in a tabernacle. The settlement also included a general store started about 1885 by T.C. Sowell. The village was later the site of a grist mill, a blacksmith shop, an active farmers union, and a string band. A post office was opened in 1890 under the name of Draco, an Indian word for the area meaning “Favorite Place”. It closed two years later.
The school continued until the 1940s when it was consolidated with Liberty Hill (5 mi. SW). The general store, later owned by other residents of the area, was in operation until 1960. All that remains of the original townsite is the Rock House Cemetery and the evidence of early buildings.
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9329.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty Hill TX 78642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fore Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Williams-Buck Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of Loafer's Glory Apostolic Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Manuel Flores (approx. 3.9 miles away); Liberty Hill Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Stubblefield Building (approx. 4.1 miles away); Liberty Hill Masonic Hall (approx. 4.1 miles away); Union Hall Independent Missionary Baptist Church of Christ (approx. 4.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Liberty Hill.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 763 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 26, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of Rock House Cemetery, mentioned on the marker. • Can you help?