Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ridgewood in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Paramus Reformed Church

 
 
Old Paramus Reformed Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 29, 2009
1. Old Paramus Reformed Church Marker
Inscription.
Organized in 1725 by pioneer Dutch settlers, the congregation of this church has worshipped here over 240 years. First church, built 1735 on this land given by Peter Fauconier, a French Huguenot, was a headquarters of Gen. George Washington in 1778 and 1780. During the American Revolution it was used as a barracks, hospital and prison. Present structure, a model of Dutch Colonial architecture, was completed in 1800 using stones from the original church.
Erected by the Consistory Body – Old Paramus Reformed Church – 1966

 
Erected 1966 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 43.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here, and the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 59.116′ N, 74° 5.52′ W. Marker is in Ridgewood, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on E Glen Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgewood NJ 07450, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Near this House of God (a few steps from this marker); Schoolhouse Museum (about 600 feet away,
Ridgewood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 29, 2009
2. Ridgewood Marker
measured in a direct line); Historic Glen Avenue (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jacob J. Zabriskie House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Beech Street School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Archibald – Vroom House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Van Dien House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Abraham Godwin (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgewood.
 
Also see . . .  Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on November 29, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
 
Old Paramus Reformed Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 29, 2009
3. Old Paramus Reformed Church Marker
The Old Paramus Reformed Church is located alongside busy Route 17, seen in the background of this photo.
Old Paramus Reformed Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 29, 2009
4. Old Paramus Reformed Church
Old Paramus Reformed Churchyard image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 29, 2009
5. Old Paramus Reformed Churchyard
Many veterans of the Revolutionary War lie here in the churchyard behind the Old Paramus Reformed Church.
Old Paramus Reformed Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chip Renner, circa 2015
6. Old Paramus Reformed Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,047 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   6. submitted on , by Chip Renner of Rochelle Park, N.j.. This page was last revised on March 23, 2017.
Paid Advertisement