Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Williamson County Courthouse
Erected 1988 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13880.)
Location. 30° 38.223′ N, 97° 40.62′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 S Main St, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shafer Saddlery (here, next to this marker); Ku Klux Klan Trials (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamson County Sun (within shouting distance of this marker); C.A.D. Clamp (within shouting distance of this marker); Lesesne-Stone Building (The KGTN Building) (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Glasscock, Sr. Williamson County (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Dimmitt Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . Williamson County Courthouse History. Shortly after Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836, settlers began establishing county governments and the need for centralized meeting places became apparent. The Texas county seat and its central courthouse filled this role, becoming the symbol of independent self-government in Texas. (Submitted on May 15, 2011, by Wayne Ware of Georgetown, Texas.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 706 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on , by Sharon N. Goodman of Round Rock, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.