Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Nauck: A Neighborhood History
After the war, the area attracted several families from Freedmanís Village (located near what is now Foxcroft Heights) and other locations. In 1874, John D. Nauck, Jr., a resident of Washington, D. C., bought 46 acres of land in south Arlington and began subdividing it; and the neighborhood Nauck as it is known today began to form.
In that same year, land was purchased for the relocation of the Little Zion Church (now Lomax A.M.E. Zion Church), a congregation that was first organized in the Freedmanís Village in 1865-66. The church building at the new site, which also served as a public school, first opened in 1875 (later known as the Kemper School). The School Board built a one-room school in 1885. In 1893, a new two-story brick school was constructed at South Lincoln Street and was later replaced by a larger building, now known
It was the electric railway, which came to Nauck in 1898 that spurred development of the neighborhood. The Nauck line of the Washington, Arlington, and Fairfax Railway ran parallel to what is now South Kenmore Street and there was a station located south of what is now the intersection of 19th Street South and South Kenmore Street.
The 1902 Virginia Constitution that restricted the rights of black citizens halted the expansion of the neighborhood. The Nauck neighborhood continued to subdivide the land already owned by blacks so that more people could be accommodated, but the neighborhood boundaries remained relatively unchanged.
World War II brought about significant changes to Nauck. Dunbar homes, located at Kemper Road and Shirlington Road, was built during the war on a tract of land that was once owned by Levi Jones and his family. The construction of the Pentagon and its surrounding roads resulted in the destruction of several predominately black neighborhoods in Arlington thereby displacing many people. Some of these people relocated to Nauck as did the A.M.E. Zion Church now on 24th Road South between Glebe Road and Shirlington Road.
Maps from 1952 revealed that a few blocks were still vacant and others were nearly built to capacity and appear much as they do today. The neighborhood of Nauck continues to develop
Text courtesy of Dr. Alfred O. Taylor, Jr.
Erected by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 38° 50.655′ N, 77° 5.147′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Four Mile Run Drive and South Shirlington Road, in the median on South Four Mile Run Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington and Old Dominion Trail (here, next to this marker); Tracks Into History (here, next to this marker); Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. ľ mile away); Drew School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edmund Douglas Campbell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Barnard (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 3,366 times since then and 300 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. 6. submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.