Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharon in Taliaferro County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Raytown Methodist Church

 
 
Raytown Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
1. Raytown Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. This church is located in that part of the original Wilkes Circuit of 1786, “the cradle of Georgia Methodism,” from which Bishop Francis Asbury formed the Little River Circuit at the Camden, S. C. Conference in January 1802. The Raytown Methodists from Virginia, Maryland, North and South Carolina, were “formed into Society” in the early 1800s, held their first meetings in the homes of members, and, after 1828, worshiped for some years in the old South Liberty Meeting House. When rapid growth created a need for a separate church, this land, given by James Moore, Sr., and Mrs. Mary Shaw Pearson, was surveyed Nov. 25, 1845, deeded Dec. 17, 1845, and the first building erected. Trustees named were Bedor Proctor, George W. Flynt, Nathaniel Parham, Aaron T. Kendrick, John Wright, William Cicero Wright, John C. Byrd and John Hartwell Phelts. Disrupted by absence of men and ministers during the War Between the States, services were resumed, April 2, 1865, on the reorganization of the Raytown Union Sabbath School, John H. Beall, Superintendent, and William H. Brooks, Secretary. The present building was erected in 1890. Among the ministers of the church in the 1800s were Josiah Lewis, Allen Thomas, Felix Persons Brown, Miles Wesley Arnold, and Andrew Jackson Hughes, all known for their outstanding work in building the
Raytown Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
2. Raytown Methodist Church Marker
Looking east on Lower Mill Road, once the Old Wrightsville Road and one of the most important roads in the section.
great rural churches of Georgia Methodism.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 131-19.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 34.373′ N, 82° 44.628′ W. Marker is near Sharon, Georgia, in Taliaferro County. Marker is on Lower Mill Road (County Route 16) 0 miles west of Sheehan Road NE (County Route 17), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. The church and marker are one-half mile east of Raytown. Marker is in this post office area: Sharon GA 30664, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rays Place – Now Raytown (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert Grier, Astronomer (approx. 1.2 miles away); Grave of Brig. Gen. Aaron W. Grier (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Church of the Purification Locust Grove Academy (approx. 3 miles away); South Liberty Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of Chivers Plantation and Store (approx. 5.7 miles away); Birthplace of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Original R.F.D. (approx. 7.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharon.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Raytown Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
3. Raytown Methodist Church Marker
The marker at the entrance to the church on Lower Mill Road
Raytown Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
4. Raytown Methodist Church
Built in 1890
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 912 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement