“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Jones County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Stoneman Raid

The Stoneman Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
1. The Stoneman Raid Marker
Inscription. In July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman’s army [US] closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” he sought to force its fall by sending Maj. Gen. George Stoneman, with three cavalry brigades (2112 men and 2 guns) to cut the Central of Georgia R.R. by which the city’s defenders [CS] were supplied. On the 27th, Stoneman left Decatur, crossed the Ocmulgee (Yellow) River near Covington (53 miles NW), and turned down the left bank toward Macon.

At Clinton, early on the 30th, he detached parties of the 14th Illinois Cavalry which wrecked the railway facilities at Gordon, McIntyre and Toomsboro (all SE of Clinton) and at Griswoldville (11 miles S). They burned four trains, many loaded cars standing on sidings, large stocks of supplies, several trestles and the long railway bridge over the Oconee River east of Toomsboro.

At Macon (12 miles SW), he was turned back by Georgia Militia, strongly intrenched. Unable to advance, he shelled Macon briefly, then attempted to retreat. Early next morning, Sunday the 31st, he was brought to bay at Sunshine Church (7 miles N) by Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., CSA (born here in Clinton of distinguished parentage) who, with 1300 cavalry [CS] had marched to intercept him. Deceived by Iverson into believing that he was bring surrounded,
The Stoneman Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
2. The Stoneman Raid Marker
The marker is second from right in this group of markers in the roadside park in Clinton.
Stoneman covered the escape of two of his brigades, then surrendered with about 600 men to what Iverson had contrived to convince him was a substantially superior force.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 084-14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 59.833′ N, 83° 33.55′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Georgia, in Jones County. Marker is on Pulaski Street 0.1 miles west of Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is in a small roadside park in Clinton. Marker is in this post office area: Gray GA 31032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samuel Griswold (here, next to this marker); Sherman’s Right Wing (here, next to this marker); Clinton Female Seminary (here, next to this marker); Macarthy-Pope House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); LaFayette (about 700 feet away); Clinton Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. Iverson’s Birthplace (approx. 0.3 miles away); W. E. Knox Civic Center (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clinton.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement