Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livermore in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

 
 
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 5, 2009
1. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Marker
Inscription. The Laboratory opened September 2, 1952 at this site, initially as a branch of the University of California Radiation Laboratory. Prior to the Lab's opening, this 630-acre parcel was the site of Livermore Naval Air Station, a World War II pilot training facility.

Founded by Ernest O. Lawrence and Edward Teller, the Atomic Energy Commission opened the Laboratory to help maintain America's superiority in nuclear deterrence and ensure national security. Throughout its history, the Lab has fulfilled its national security mission - establishing itself as a hallmark of cutting-edge science in the name of national security.

For 50 years LLNL has been managed by the University of California for the U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration and its predecessor organizations.

Marker dedicated here during the Lab's 50th anniversary year 2002.
Time capsule buried here to be opened in 2052.
 
Erected 2002.
 
Location. 37° 41.176′ N, 121° 41.843′ W. Marker is in Livermore, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Eastgate Drive west of Greenville Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livermore CA 94550, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Marker - Wide Shot image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 5, 2009
2. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Marker - Wide Shot
are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wente Bros. Winery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Concannon Vineyard (approx. 2.7 miles away); Joaquin Murrieta and Murrieta's Well (approx. 2.8 miles away); William M. Mendenhall 1823 – 1911 / DeAnza Expedition Campsite (approx. 3.4 miles away); Livermore Town Hall Jail and Firehouse (approx. 3.8 miles away); Livermore Flagpole (approx. 3.9 miles away); Bank of Italy Building (approx. 3.9 miles away); Mills Square Flag Pole (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Livermore.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located on the grounds of the Lawrence Livermore Lab, but outside of the entrance gate on Eastside Drive (Lupin Way). From the parking lot in front of the Discovery Center, walk up the Discovery Center walkway and follow the signs to the press center. The marker is in front of the press center.
 
Also see . . .
1. History. The LLNL's history page, told decade-by-decade, with pictures. (Submitted on December 8, 2009.) 

2. Livermore Naval Air Station. eLivermore's series of pages on the history of Livermore NAS, with pictures. (Submitted on December 8, 2009.) 
 
Additional keywords. nuclear weapons
 
Categories. Science & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,090 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement