Dublin in County Dublin, Leinster, Ireland — Mid-East (and Dublin)
Prior to 1877 St. Stephen's Green was a private square for the use of the residents of the Green. In that year, through the generosity of Sir Arthur Edward Guinness (Lord Ardilaun) negotiations were concluded for converting it into a public park.
Lord Ardilaun paid off debts against the park and invested an additional £20,000 in laying out the grounds as a park and garden. The bronze statue of Lord Ardilaun was erected by public subscriptions in 1892.
The Right Honourable Sir Arthur Edward Guinness
by whose liberality this park was laid out
and beautified for the use and enjoyment
of the citizens of Dublin
Erected by public subscription
Erected 1892 by Citizens of Dublin.
Location. 53° 20.318′ N, 6° 15.685′ W. Marker is in Dublin, Leinster, in County Dublin. Marker is at the intersection of St. Stephen's Green and York Street, on the right when traveling north on St. Stephen's Green. Click for map. Memorial is along the northwestern boundary of St. Stephen's Green.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Emmet (within shouting distance of this marker); William Butler Yeats James Clarence Mangan (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa / Ó Donnabháin Rosa (about 120 meters away); Fusiliers’ Arch (about 120 meters away); St. Stephen's Green Bandstand (about 150 meters away); James Joyce (about 180 meters away); Countess Constance Markievicz (about 180 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Dublin.
Also see . . . Lord Ardilaun. (Submitted on December 9, 2009.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Environment • Horticulture & Forestry • Man-Made Features • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 1,147 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . 4. submitted on . 5. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.