Waverly in Pike County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Emmitt House / James Emmitt
Side A: The Emmitt House
Built for Waverly industrialist James Emmitt in 1861, The Emmitt House was partly the work of carpenter Madison Hemings, who claimed parentage by President Thomas Jefferson. It served as a tavern and store for travelers on the Ohio-Erie Canal that passed directly in front of the hotel. The Emmitt House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 as a key part of the Waverly Canal District, which encompasses many of the canal-era residential and commercial buildings in the downtown area. It underwent a year-long restoration project in 1989 that retained its historical flavor and design. It continues to provide hospitality to both residents and travelers.
Side B: James Emmitt (1806-1893)
The son of German and Irish immigrants who settled here in 1816, James Emmitt was a prominent figure in the economic growth of Waverly and the lower Scioto valley for much of the 19th century. After the Ohio-Erie Canal opened in 1832, Emmitt prospered by shipping grain to Cleveland, and the early success of his distilleries in Waverly and Chillicothe led to far-reaching business interests. Using his political influence, he successfully campaigned to move the county seat from Piketon to Waverly in 1860, building the courthouse, a road between Waverly and Piketon, and a bridge
Erected 2000 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Pike County Convention and Visitors Bureau, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-66.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 39° 7.607′ N, 82° 59.113′ W. Marker was in Waverly, Ohio, in Pike County. Marker was at the intersection of Market Street (Ohio Route 220) and Emmitt Avenue (U.S. 23), on the right when traveling south on Market Street. Click for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 123 N. Market Street, Waverly OH 45690, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this location, measured as the crow flies. Pike County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); War Savings Stamps (about 300 feet away); German Evangelical Church / Pike Heritage Foundation Museum (about 500 feet away); Canal Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pike County Revolutionary Soldiers Pike County Twentieth-Century War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pike County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Waverly.
The Emmitt House and the Ohio Marker no longer exist. The House was destroyed by a fire in 2014. Several newpapers covered the story and can be found online.
— Submitted February 22, 2016, by Melanie Born of Parma, Ohio.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,314 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.