Inscription. This land was part of a 2,568-acre tract named Georgia Plantation, that Charles Carroll purchased in 1732. By 1760, his son Charles Carroll, a lawyer, had constructed a Georgian summer home, Mount Clare. the Carroll family lived here until 1852.
By William Pfingsten, September 16, 2007
|1. Camp Carroll Marker|
In April 1861, in the first bloodshed of the Civil War, a crowd of Confederate sympathizers in Baltimore attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry as it passed through the city en rout to Washington. By summer the U.S. Army had established camps throughout Baltimore. Brig. Gen. John Reese Kenly, of the Maryland militia, opened a recruiting office and a month later took command of the 1st Maryland Infantry as colonel. He converted the pastures to the west of Mount Clare, then a hotel, into a training facility named Camp Carroll.
On March 22, 1862 the U.S. Army created the Middle Department in Baltimore to protect rail and communication lines. Gen. James Cooper’s brigade, organized in April, including troops stationed here at Camp Carroll near the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad line. The brigade was disbanded on May 25, 1862.
Units were trained here in drill, guard, and patrol duties. Officers may have been quartered in the Mount Clare Hotel, which offered an outstanding view of the camp. In the fall of 1862, Camp Carroll was renamed Camp Chesebrough, honoring Lt. Colonel William
G. Chesebrough, 17th U.S. Infantry. In 1864 the name reverted to Camp Carroll. The camp remained in use by Federal forces until the war ended.
By Richard E. Miller, February 16, 2011
|2. Camp Carroll Marker at Mount Clare, the Georgia Plantation|
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 16.746′ N, 76° 38.612′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from Washington Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is near the Mount Clare Mansion in Carroll Park. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Clare (a few steps from this marker); Mt. Clare (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Mt. Clare (within shouting distance of this marker); 1917 – 1918 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Clare, the Georgia Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carroll Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Carroll Park at the Golf Course (approx. 0.6 miles away); Restoring Water Quality (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,141 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on April 1, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |