“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Wilson's Raid To Macon

Wilson's Raid To Macon Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 18, 2009
1. Wilson's Raid To Macon Marker
Inscription. On March 22, 1865, the Cavalry Corps, Military Division of the Mississippi [US], Bvt. Maj. Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, left the Tennessee River near Florence, Ala., and marched south to Selma to destroy its arsenals and foundries. On April 10th, after defeating Lt. Gen. N. B. Forrest’s cavalry corps [CS] and wrecking Selma, he marched east through Montgomery to Columbus, Georgia, where he destroyed the arsenal, foundries, navy-yard, small-arms factory, mills, railway facilities and large stores of cotton.

On April 18th, Wilson moved toward Macon and, by a forced march, seized the Double Bridges over the Flint River before they could be destroyed. Late on the 20th, his advance (the 17th Indiana Mounted Infantry, Col. Frank White), reached Tobesofkee Creek at Mimm's Mills (15 miles W) where Confederates had just fired the bridge. Charging through the flames and into the barricades beyond, White drove the defenders beyond Rock Creek in the last skirmish fought on Georgia soil. Outside of Macon, he met a flag of truce announcing the armistice between Generals Sherman [US] and J.E. Johnston [CS] in North Carolina, following the surrender of Lee’s army in Virginia on the 9th. There being no further resistance, White entered Macon and took possession and, before midnight, General Wilson’s headquarters were established in the Lanier House.

Wilson's Raid To Macon Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
2. Wilson's Raid To Macon Marker
Looking northwest on Mulberry Street
the 26th, General Johnston surrendered the remaining armies of the Confederacy east of the Mississippi River to General Sherman, bringing the war to a close.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 50.245′ N, 83° 37.623′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Mulberry Street 0 miles west of 3rd Street, in the median. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Macon GA 31201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House (a few steps from this marker); Bibb County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Public Camellia Show (about 500 feet away); Post 3 Macon (about 500 feet away); Christ Church (about 600 feet away); William Arthur Fickling, Sr. (about 600 feet away); Freemasonry in Macon (about 600 feet away); Macon History (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Macon.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,127 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement