HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Alabama Corps Of Cadets Defends Tuscaloosa
 
Alabama Corps Of Cadets Defends Tuscaloosa Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr, November 17, 2008
1. Alabama Corps Of Cadets Defends Tuscaloosa Marker
 
Inscription. Early on the morning of 4 April 1865, Union Gen John T. Croxton's Cavalry Brigade of 1500 veteran troopers entered the town after fighting the home guard and capturing the covered bridge connecting Northport and Tuscaloosa across the Warrior River. While a detachment of Federals proceeded to capture two pieces of artillery stored at the Broad St. livery stable, Pat Kehoe of the Alabama Insane Hospital hurried to the University of Alabama to warn of the soldier's approach. University president Landon C. Garland ordered the guardhouse drummers to "beat the long roll" to awaken the 300 sleeping cadets. Quickly forming into ranks, the three companies began their march from campus into town. A platoon from Co. C, under Capt John H. Murfee, formed as skirmishers and forged ahead to the corner of Greensboro Ave. and Broad St. University Blvd.) where they encountered the enemy from the 6th Ky Cav Regt. In the ensuing firefight, Capt Murfee was wounded along with three cadets, W. R. May, Aron T. Kendrick and William M. King. The Union pickets then retreated down the hill back toward the bridge.

(Marker Reverse):
The bloodied cadet platoon rejoined the main body of the Corps which had advanced at the sound of fighting. Together they proceeded one block north to the brow of River Hill and took up positions, firing several
 
Alabama Corps Of Cadets Defends Tuscaloosa Marker Reverse Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr, November 17, 2008
2. Alabama Corps Of Cadets Defends Tuscaloosa Marker Reverse
 
volleys down on the Union enemy by the river. Learning from a Confederate officer who had been captured and temporarily released by Croxton that the Yankee force included 1500 arms and the two captured cannons, President Garland and Commandant of Cadets Colonel James T. Murfee decided that an attack with teen-aged boys would be a useless sacrifice. The Corps marched the 1 1/2 miles back to the campus, fortified themselves with what provisions were available, and continued east on Huntsville Rd. Crossing Hurricane Creek some eight miles from town, they unplanked the bridge and entrenched themselves on the east bank. Croxton did not pursue, instead exploding the University's ammunition supplies and setting the campus ablaze. After witnessing the destruction from afar, the cadets marched east, then south to Marion. There, the Corps disbanded with orders to re-form in one month's time; the war ended in the interval.
 
Erected 2003 by Alabama Historical Association / The Heritage Commission of Tuscaloosa County / General R. E. Rodes Camp 262 / Sons of Confederate Veterans.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
 
Location. 33° 12.612′ N, 87° 34.068′ W. Marker is in
 
River Hill Site, University Blvd, Downtown Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr, November 17, 2008
3. River Hill Site, University Blvd, Downtown Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Marker is located on the left in front of the white SUV.
 
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker is on University Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2330 University Boulevard, Tuscaloosa AL 35401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tuscaloosa City Hall (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christ Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Margaret M. DuPont (about 800 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tuscaloosa First United Methodist Church (approx. mile away); St. John The Baptist Catholic Church (approx. mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Navigation and Shipbuilding On The Black Warrior River (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
 
Also see . . .  "Alabama Corps of Cadets Call to Battle". This painting by John Paul Strain was commissioned by the University of Alabama to commemorate the 145th anniversary of the defense of the campus by the Alabama Corps of Cadets. (Submitted on April 11, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.) 
 
Location Of The Covered Bridge That Crossed The Warrior River. Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr, November 17, 2008
4. Location Of The Covered Bridge That Crossed The Warrior River.
This is located a two blocks north of the marker off Greensboro Ave.
 
 
The Guardhouse On The Campus Of The University Of Alabama Photo, Click for full size
By Tim Carr, November 17, 2008
5. The Guardhouse On The Campus Of The University Of Alabama
This is one of the few structures that was not destroyed by the Union forces when the campus was burned in 1865.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,989 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 11, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 203 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.