“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Site of Marshall-Carver High School

Site of Marshall-Carver High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. Site of Marshall-Carver High School Marker
Inscription. The first school for African American students in Georgetown was established in the early 20th century. Called “The Colored School,” the institution served grades 1 through 8 and provided the only local educational opportunities for African Americans. The school’s principal, Mr. S.C. Marshall, was an outspoken advocate of higher education. A scholar himself, he persuaded the school board to allow him to provide classes through the high school level. He named the new program “The Georgetown Colored High School,” and the first student enrolled in 1913. A new high school building was erected in 1923 due to increasing enrollment. When Marshall left the school in 1930, it was renamed Marshall School in his honor. The name was changed to George Washington Carver in the 1940s.

In 1962, the parents of seventeen Carver students who had been denied admission to Georgetown’s white schools filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court to force integration. The court ordered the Georgetown Independent School District to integrate one grade level per year beginning with the first grade. Partial integration began in the fall of 1964. Convinced that gradual integration would not benefit their children, African American parents appealed the decision to the Fifth Circuit Court which upheld the lower court’s verdict. Proponents of full and immediate integration engaged in a letter-writing campaign to the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, and the Federal Assistance Program urging another review of the case. In the fall of 1965, the Georgetown school board agreed to a plan to complete integration of the school system by September 1967. The Carver school was permanently closed due to integration.
Erected 1999 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12302.)
Location. 30° 38.506′ N, 97° 40.908′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Scenic Dr., on the right when traveling west. Click for map. East of Blue Hole Park Rd. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Georgetown Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Macedonia Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 600 feet away); Railroad Produce Warehouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Williamson County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); M.B. Lockett Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); H. C. Craig Bulding (approx. 0.4 miles away); Judge Greenleaf Fisk (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. African AmericansCivil RightsEducation
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 64 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement