Elloree in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trinity Lutheran Church
Trinity Lutheran Church was founded in 1849 by German-Swiss Lutherans who came to Orangeburg District from Charleston. The first church building, was built 2 mi. S on the old Moncks Corner Rd., now S.C. Hwy. 6. By 1800 the center of the community shifted, and the Lutherans and Methodists traded churches. The Lutherans moved to a frame church 2 mi. N, establishing their cemetery there.
Elloree was incorporated in 1886, and the Lutherans built a frame church on this site in 1889. It was struck by lightning and burned in 1913. The present blue granite church, a Late Gothic Revival design by J. Carroll Johnson (1882-1967) of the Columbia firm Urquhart & Johnson, was built in 1914 and dedicated on Palm Sunday 1915. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
Erected 2009 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 38-32.)
Location. 33° 31.976′ N, 80° 34.3′ W. Marker is in Elloree, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is at the intersection of East Hampton Street and North Lexington Street, on the left when traveling east on East Hampton Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 390 Hampton Street, Elloree SC 29047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Snider House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shiloh A.M.E. Church (approx. half a mile away); Santee~Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Good Hope Picnic (approx. 5.2 miles away); Jericho Methodist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Shady Grove Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (approx. 7.5 miles away); Fort Watson (approx. 7.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elloree.
Regarding Trinity Lutheran Church. Trinity Lutheran Church is significant for its architecture and as an excellent example of the ecclesiastical architecture of J. Carroll Johnson, well-known early twentieth century Columbia architect of the firm of Urquhart & Johnson. The church, constructed in 1914 in the shape of a cross, is made of blue granite which was mined in Winnsboro, South Carolina. This excellent example of Gothic Revival parish church architecture has distinctive exterior and interior features, and a sophistication not often exhibited in rural farming communities of South Carolina. Laid in random courses, its walls feature sixteen granite and limestone buttresses, granite and cast stone parapets rising two feet above the gabled slate roof, contrasting mortar, and distinctive custom limestone arched door and window surrounds. Broad
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Trinity Lutheran Church (added 2008 - - #08000721)
390 Hampton St. , Elloree
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Summersett, W.B., Johnson, J. Carroll
♦ Architectural Style: Late Gothic Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance:
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Current Function: Religion
— Submitted May 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.