Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tignall in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church

 
 
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
1. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The Methodist Society, which was later organized into Pope’s Chapel Church, was first organized in August 1786 by Thomas Humphries at the home of James Marks located in what is now Elbert County about 1 ½ miles Northeast of Baker’s Ferry on Broad River. When Elbert County was formed in 1790 from Wilkes County it left most of the church members in Wilkes County, so the church was moved south into Wilkes and located about two mile from Broad River on property owned by John Landrum adjoining his birthplace on the east side of Baker’s Ferry Road. It was in this location that it received its name, in honor of Rev. Henry Pope who supplied most of the timber for the building. Bishop Asbury preached the Dedication Sermon there in 1805. In 1852 the church was again moved about 2 miles southeast to its present location. In 1871 Trustees of the church were Benjamin W. Fortson, M. T. Cash, Augustus A. Neal and James W. Boyd. A second building was constructed here in 1897 in which 2 stained glass windows were installed as a memorial to Benjamin Winn Fortson and his wife Hannah Rebecca Ogilvie by their children. The Dedication Sermon was preached by Lundye Harris in 1898. This building, severely damaged by windstorms was replaced in 1957 by the present building.
 
Erected 1978 by Tignall United Methodist
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
2. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Charge.
 
Location. 33° 56.65′ N, 82° 42.367′ W. Marker is near Tignall, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on Pope Chapel Road 0.2 miles south of County Route 193, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tignall GA 30668, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nancy Hart (approx. 5.1 miles away); Independence United Methodist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Fishing Creek Baptist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); USS Scorpion (SS-278) (approx. 7.4 miles away); Bobby Brown State Park Monument (approx. 7.4 miles away); First Court North of Augusta (approx. 7.6 miles away); Bethlehem Methodist Church (approx. 8.5 miles away); Heard's Fort (approx. 8.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tignall.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
3. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
This building was built in 1957, replacing the 1897 building
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
4. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
5. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
6. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
7. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery
Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
8. Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery
Henderson McDonald Walton (l) and Annie W. Walton (r) Tombstones image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
9. Henderson McDonald Walton (l) and Annie W. Walton (r) Tombstones
Benjamin W. Fortson Tombstone<br>Mentioned on the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 19, 2014
10. Benjamin W. Fortson Tombstone
Mentioned on the Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 961 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement