Inscription. Just east stands Old Donation Episcopal Church, built in 1736. It is the third building to serve the colonial era Lynnhaven Parish, established by 1642. The second church, once adjacent to the current building, was converted into a school in 1737. The church received its present name in the early 19th century likely in commemoration of a gift of land. An 1882 fire left only portions of its brick walls standing. The building was restored in 1916 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
By Scott Rollins, May 19, 2009
|1. Old Donation Church Marker|
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K280.)
Location. 36° 52.193′ N, 76° 7.985′ W. Marker is in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Marker is on Independence Boulevard (Virginia Route 225) 0.2 miles north of North Witchduck Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. In front of Bayside Area Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 936 Independence Boulevard, Virginia Beach VA 23455, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Testing of Grace Sherwood (approx. ¼ mile away); Lynnhaven House (approx. half a mile away); The Pembroke Manor House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Adam Thoroughgood House (approx. 2 miles away); Church Point (approx. 2 miles away); History of Thalia/Aunt Penny's Park (approx. 2.2 miles away); Princess Anne County Training School/Union Kempsville High School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Adam Thorowgood (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Virginia Beach.
By Scott Rollins, July 7, 2009
|2. Old Donation Episcopal Church|
Also see . . . History of Old Donation Episcopal Church. (Submitted on July 5, 2009, by Scott Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2009, by Scott Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. This page has been viewed 870 times since then. Last updated on December 16, 2009, by Scott Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on June 29, 2009, by Scott Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. 2. submitted on July 20, 2009, by Scott Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |