Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingstree in Williamsburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Muster Ground and Courthouse

 
 
Old Muster Ground and Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Old Muster Ground and Courthouse Marker
Inscription.
This lot was designated the parade ground in the original survey of the town in 1737. It served as the muster ground for the local militia during colonial and Revolutionary times. The present courthouse, designed by Robert Mills, was built in 1823. The second story burned in 1883 and was repaired. The courthouse was enlarged in 1901 and remodelled again in 1954.
 
Erected 1964 by Margaret Gregg Gorden Chapter, D.A.R., Williamsburg County. (Marker Number 45-4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 33° 39.809′ N, 79° 49.869′ W. Marker is in Kingstree, South Carolina, in Williamsburg County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 261) east of South Jackson Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 147 West Main Street, Kingstree SC 29556, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thurgood Marshall, J.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamsburg County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance
Old Muster Ground and Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 3, 2009
2. Old Muster Ground and Courthouse Marker
of this marker); Willamsburg County Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamsburgh (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Albanís Episcopal Church (approx. ľ mile away); Williamsburg Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stephen A. Swails House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kingstree: Gathering Vital Intelligence (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Kingstree (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kingstree.
 
Regarding Old Muster Ground and Courthouse. The Williamsburg County Courthouse is located within the Kingstree Historic District.
 
Also see . . .
1. Kingstree Historic District. The Kingstree Historic District contains forty-eight properties situated along Main Street, Academy Street, and Hampton Street in the commercial area of downtown Kingstree. (Submitted on February 3, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Robert Mills. Robert Mills (August 12, 1781 – March 3, 1855) is sometimes called the first native born American
Old Muster Ground and Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 3, 2009
3. Old Muster Ground and Courthouse Marker
to become a professional architect, though Charles Bulfinch perhaps has a clearer claim to this honor. (Submitted on February 3, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

3. Williamsburg County, South Carolina. Official website of Williamsburg County, South Carolina. (Submitted on February 3, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

4. Williamsburg County, South Carolina. Williamsburg County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. (Submitted on February 3, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Williamsburg County Courthouse, Main Street: ca. 1823
Designed by the noted architect Robert Mills, the courthouse was constructed ca. 1823 at a cost of $10,000.00. The building has been continually used as a public courthouse since its construction. In 1883, the second story burned but damage was minor and repairs were completed within a year. In 1953-1954, wings were added to the rear of the courthouse and exterior remodeling was undertaken which included the addition of an exterior staircase and the removal of facade details.

The courthouse is a fine example of Roman Classicism with its raised first floor, pediment with lunette, and Doric columns. The main story has
Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 3, 2009
4. Courthouse
a central doorway flanked by four windows. The entablature once featured triglyphs and metopes but these were removed in the 1954 remodeling. Although the courthouse has been altered it still reflects must of Mills's original design. The courthouse grounds contain a Confederate monument erected May 10, 1910 by the Williamsburg Chapter U.D.C. and citizens of the county. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
    — Submitted February 3, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Williamsburg County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 3, 2009
5. Williamsburg County Courthouse
Old Muster Ground and Courthouse image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, circa 1950
6. Old Muster Ground and Courthouse
Old Muster Ground and Courthouse image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, circa 1982
7. Old Muster Ground and Courthouse
Williamsburg County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Historic American Buildings Survey
8. Williamsburg County Courthouse
Historic American Engineering Record,HABS SC,45-KING,2-1
Williamsburg County Map image. Click for full size.
By SCIway
9. Williamsburg County Map
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 990 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   8. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   9. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement