“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Picatinny Arsenal in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The Cannon Gate

The Cannon Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Huggan, October 23, 2008
1. The Cannon Gate Marker
Inscription. In this vicinity was the original entrance to the 'Picatinny Powder Depot.' In 1885, five years after this post's establishment, Major J.P. Farley, the second Commander (1883-87) had erected these wrought iron gates constructed around Columbiads, coastal defense guns. This portal demarked the main entrance until 1941 and over the years came to be known as 'The Cannon Gate.' The remnants of the fence forming the original boundary of this Federal reservation is 'blue pudding stone,' a quartz conglomerate. The thoroughfare leading from 'Union Turnpike' (Route 15) to this gate was called 'Government Road.'
Erected by U.S. Army Armament Research and Development Center (ARDC) Historical Office.
Location. 40° 56.054′ N, 74° 34.088′ W. Marker is in Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Parker Road and First Avenue and Bott Road, on the right when traveling north on Parker Road. Click for map. Marker is located on Federal property. A Visitor Pass is required from Picatinny Arsenal to view historic marker(s) on the U.S. Army Garrison site. Marker is in this post office area: Picatinny Arsenal NJ 07806, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured
Vintage photograph of the Cannon Gate image. Click for full size.
2. Vintage photograph of the Cannon Gate
A car approaches Picatinny Arsenalís Cannon Gates. The gates were manufactured by the Cornell, New York, ironworks in 1885 from actual cannon and cannonballs.
as the crow flies. Administration and Research Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Middle Forge (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Administration and Research Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Walton Burial Ground (approx. 0.8 miles away); 600 Ordnance Testing Area Historic District (1928-1948) (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Babbit-Mathews House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ford – Faesch Manor House - 1768 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Picatinny Arsenal (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Picatinny Arsenal.
More about this marker. While the actual year the marker was erected is currently unknown, we can deduce from the erecting organization that it was 1986 or earlier. In 1986, the Army ordered all its R&D centers to recognize their engineering role and change the name from ARDC (as noted on the marker) to ARDEC, the U.S. Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center.
Regarding The Cannon Gate. Picatinnyís Cannon Gate, one of the most recognizable and enduring symbols of Picatinny Arsenal.
Also see . . .  Cannon Gate goes south. This article outlines removing the gate for restoration efforts. Of note, the article mentions the gate has
The Cannon Gate image. Click for full size.
By Jason Huggan, October 18, 2007
3. The Cannon Gate
The four gate posts are 8-inch Columbian cannons made by the West Point Foundry in 1855. The cannon balls with flames that top them represent the United States Army Ordnance Department, the organization that had charge of the depot. Its seal is on both gates.
not been closed since World War I. (Submitted on December 18, 2009.) 
Categories. Military
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jason Huggan of Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 938 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Jason Huggan of Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement