Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shelton in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Shelton

 
 
Shelton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 8, 2009
1. Shelton Marker
[ front ]
Inscription.
[ front ]
Shelton
1639 – Stratford area settled, with present-day Shelton as the northern part.

1717 – Northern settlers established Ripton parish.

1789 – Ripton separated from Stratford and became the town of Huntington, named for Governor Samuel Huntington.

1870 – Derby-Shelton dam built., allowing industrial development along the Housatonic River.

1915 – The borough of Shelton incorporated as a city, named for Edward N. Shelton, industrialist and promoter of the dam.

1919 – Town of Huntington became Shelton by act of the General Assembly.

[ back ]
The Pootatuck Indians were the original inhabitants of Shelton. They had a palisade fort above Riverview Park and their burying ground was in the Park. By 1680 they had sold all their lands to the Stratford settlers and moved north.
The First industry in the area was the Leavenworth Shipyards, 1685, on the Housatonic River at Indian Well. The nearby hills were forested with oak and chestnut, which was used for planking. As the lands were cleared, farmers moved in. They sent cattle, pork products, corn, and oak timber to the West Indies on Leavenworth ships.
The 1790 census listed 2742 adults and 120 slaves. By 1900 Shelton was an
Shelton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 8, 2009
2. Shelton Marker
[ back ]
industrial town of 5600 people and manufactured everything from pins to pianos.
In 1977 Shelton has become a residential and light-industrial city with 30,000 people and more than 60 manufacturers.
Erected by the City of Shelton
The Huntington Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1977
 
Erected 1977.
 
Location. 41° 19.308′ N, 73° 6.062′ W. Marker is in Shelton, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Howe Avenue (Route 110) and Roberts Street, on the right when traveling north on Howe Avenue. Click for map. Located next to Riverview Park. Marker is in this post office area: Shelton CT 06484, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To Honor the Men and Women of the City of Shelton (within shouting distance of this marker); Constitution Oak (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Hill (about 600 feet away); Shelton Locks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shelton World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Derby Korea – Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Derby Veterans Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Derby Firemen’s Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Shelton.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Shelton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 8, 2009
3. Shelton Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 968 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement