“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pflugerville in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Bohls House

Bohls House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 29, 2007
1. Bohls House Marker
Inscription. Gottlieb William Bohls (1878-1961), the oldest of Heinrich and Julie Schroeder Bohls’ ten children, was born on his family’s farm near this site. In 1906, G.W. married Bertha Timmerman (1883-1967), and five years later they purchased a 95-acre farm on the Austin-Hutto road, formerly the site of the Carrington Ranch School. They lived in a small home until this two-story, eight-room house could be completed in 1913. After twelve years, G.W. sold the property to his youngest brother, Otto Walter Bohls, Sr. (1898-1973), and his wife, Laura Emma Anna (Fuchs) (1898-1992). Otto promoted soil conservation practices on the farm and in the area, serving as chair of the Travis County Agricultural Adjustment Administration for 13 years. Contour farming, planting cover crops, building stock tanks, rotating crops and planting new seed varieties reduced wind and water erosion and kept the soil intact during periods of drought. The Bohls family deeded the property to the city of Pflugerville in 1993 to promote and interpret the city’s heritage and culture.

The Queen Anne Free Classic style house features a hipped cross-gabled roof with dormer windows and fishscale shingles. Prominent elements include a wraparound porch, main door sidelights, a longleaf pine interior, and cutaway bays with wooden brackets on the front-facing parlor and side-facing
Bohls House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 29, 2007
2. Bohls House
dining room. Original outbuildings included a barn, two homes for farm hands, a smokehouse, an outhouse and a carriage garage. The original rain harvesting system, including a 4,000-gallon brick and concrete underground cistern and a 2,000-gallon galvanized tin cistern above ground, was the home’s only source of drinking water until 1975.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 2005 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13542.)
Location. 30° 26.544′ N, 97° 36.452′ W. Marker is in Pflugerville, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Old Austin Hutto Rd, Pflugerville TX 78660, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pflugerville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Evangelical Lutheran Church of Dessau (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Gault Homestead (approx. 4.3 miles away); St. John Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Klattenhoff House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bratton Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Merrilltown Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pflugerville.
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 806 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement