“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Central Presbyterian Church

Central Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 30, 2007
1. Central Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. This congregation traces its roots to October 13, 1839, when Austinís first Presbyterian worship service was held at Bullockís Hotel. Present that day was builder Abner Cook, elder in the first Presbyterian church organized in Austin. He helped acquire this property for the Presbyterian Church (South) following a post-Civil War split in the church. A sanctuary was completed on the site in 1874.

This congregation was known in later years as Southern Presbyterian Church, the Free Presbyterian Church, First Southern Presbyterian Church, and Central Presbyterian Church. It has counted among its members many individuals important in the life of the denomination and the City of Austin, including Gov. Francis R. Lubbock; William Sidney Porter (O. Henry); A.N. and Jane Y. McCallum; Dr. George Clark and Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red; and U.S. Attorney General Thomas Watt Gregory. The Rev. Richmond Kelley Smoot played an important role in the national denomination and in the development of the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

This congregation was instrumental in organizing five Presbyterian churches in Austin. It continues a program of ministry, outreach, and cultural events.
Erected 1988 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13928.)
Central Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 30, 2007
2. Central Presbyterian Church
30° 16.17′ N, 97° 44.438′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E 8th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paramount Theatre (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephen F. Austin Hotel (about 500 feet away); Saint Davidís Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Driskill Hotel (about 600 feet away); M.M. Longís Livery Stable and Opera House (about 600 feet away); Swedish Consulate and Swante Palm Library (about 600 feet away); Openheimer-Montgomery Building (about 600 feet away); Site of Tenth Street Methodist Church (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . .  Central Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement