“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Fredericksburg United Methodist Church

Fredericksburg United Methodist Church Markers image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 15, 2007
1. Fredericksburg United Methodist Church Markers
Inscription. This church sanctuary was built in 1882, the fifth building to be used by the congregation, and the second on this site. Additions were constructed in 1912, 1924, 1951, and 1989. The reverend John Kobler, an early leader who raised funds for the church and bequeathed his home to serve as the parsonage, died in 1843 and is buried, with his wife, under the church. The congregation was officially constituted in 1802 when the first minister, the Reverend John Pitts, was appointed. Methodist meetings had been held here as early as 1800.

(upper marker)
Historical Fredericksburg Foundation
Fredericksburg United Methodist Church
Built by
Fredericksburg Methodist Episcopal Church South

Erected by Historical Fredericksburg Foundation. (Marker Number 20.)
Location. 38° 18.079′ N, 77° 27.584′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is on Hanover Street 0 miles west of Princess Anne Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 Hanover St, Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corporation Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clara Barton
Fredericksburg United Methodist Church Markers image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 15, 2007
2. Fredericksburg United Methodist Church Markers
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Courthouse (about 400 feet away); A Vast Hospital (about 400 feet away); The “Demon of Destruction” (about 400 feet away); War Comes to Fredericksburg (about 400 feet away); Gen. Stonewall Jackson (about 400 feet away); Odd Fellows Lodge (about 500 feet away); Masonic Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Fredericksburg (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding Fredericksburg United Methodist Church. The Church has served the local community and surrounding counties for over 200 years.

Methodism in Fredericksburg was formally constituted in April, 1802 as a station in the Baltimore Conference. Its first location was on George Street to the rear of what is today the Heilig-Meyers Furniture Company. After a rocky start, it began to grow in the 1820s when John Kobler, a retired Methodist minister, and his wife, Mary, became members. Inspired by the lay leadership of Kobler, the Church outgrew
Fredericksburg United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 15, 2007
3. Fredericksburg United Methodist Church
Photo taken from the corner of Hanover and Princess Anne Streets, looking Southwest.
its small frame building, and in 1842, built a new brick edifice on Hanover Street at the location it occupies today. Much beloved and revered, Koblerís remains were interred under the pulpit after his death in 1843. His wife, Mary, joined him in 1855. In her will she left their home on Hanover Street built by her husband, John, to the Church to be used as a parsonage.

In 1848, the congregation split over the slavery issue and a group left to join the newly formed Methodist Episcopal Church, South. They constructed a new Church at the corner of George and Charles Streets where Fredericksburg Savings and Loan is today. Unlike the brick building on Hanover Street, the Southern Church survived the Civil War unscathed. When the two congregations reunited after the War as part of the MEC, South, they worshipped in the Southern Church until 1882. Needing more room, they tore down the war-damaged 1842 structure and constructed on its site in 1882 a new Gothic church which the congregation still uses today.

Now, in the twenty-first century, the congregation has increased six fold and numerous additions to the original sanctuary have been made. The last addition in 1989 was by far the largest and was completed at a cost of a little over one million dollars. In 1963, it became the first Methodist Church in Virginia in modern times to become integrated.
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,616 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement