Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Decker United Methodist Church and Community
Beginning in 1871, the Rev. C.C. Charnquist of Austin preached in homes. With advent of more settlers, a church was erected and dedicated at Pentecost, 1879.
In 1882, a public school was opened. In 1884, the church was enlarged and parsonage built.
In the pastorate (1901-02) of the Rev. C.O. Freeman, the present sanctuary was erected. The large modern wing was added in 1967.
Erected 1973 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14416.)
Location. 30° 18.571′ N, 97° 36.97′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8304 Decker Ln, Austin TX 78725, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Decker Swedish Evangelical Free Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Home of Reuben Hornsby (approx. 3.4 miles away); John Williams, Howell Hoggett, William Atkinson, Daniel Hornsby (approx. 3.4 miles away); Barr Mansion (approx. 3.5 miles Josephus Hornsby (approx. 3.7 miles away); Reuben Hornsby (approx. 3.8 miles away); Site of Fort Colorado (approx. 3.8 miles away); City of Manor (approx. 4.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Decker United Methodist Church. (Submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 767 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.