Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Woody in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Granite Station

(Five Dogs)

 
 
Granite Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
1. Granite Station Marker
Inscription. Built it 1873 by John Elden, this stand of buildings served as store, restaurant, and lodging place on the stage route between Bakersfield and Glennville. In later years it became a stopping place for freighters and sheepmen who were on their trek to the Mojave Desert.
Dedicated 1981
Kern County Museum
Kern County Historical Society
E Clampus Vitus Peter LeBeck Chapter 1866

 
Erected 1981 by Kern County Museum, Kern County Historical Society and E Clampus Vitus Peter LeBeck Chapter 1866.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 35° 36.833′ N, 118° 51.556′ W. Marker is near Woody, California, in Kern County. Marker is on Glennville-Bakersfield/Granite Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located 8.5 miles south of Woody. Marker is in this post office area: Woody CA 93287, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mountain House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Joseph Weringer, Sr. (approx. 6.3 miles away); Woody (approx. 6.4 miles away); Posey Station of Butterfield Overland Mail Lines
Granite Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
2. Granite Station Marker
(approx. 8.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Garcťs Baptismal Site (approx. 9.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Lynnís Bull Road (approx. 10.1 miles away); Lavers Crossing (approx. 11.5 miles away); Glennville Adobe (approx. 11.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Woody.
 
Regarding Granite Station. Granite Station served as a stage station between Bakersfield and the goldfields of Linnís Valley and beyond during the 1870ís. It went by several names during its time, one being Five Dogs and another, Elmer. It was purchased in 1904 by the Bigot family and used as a sheep sheering station. The main building is no longer standing, due to a fire in the 1990ís. The only remaining sign being the chimney seen behind the marker.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Places
 
Only Remaining Sign of Original Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
3. Only Remaining Sign of Original Building
The chimney is what remains after a fire in the 1990's.
View of Barn From the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
4. View of Barn From the Marker
View From Marker - South of the Barn image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
5. View From Marker - South of the Barn
View of the Ranch at Granite Station image. Click for full size.
Kern County - Beale Memorial Library, circa 1903
6. View of the Ranch at Granite Station
Served as a Stagecoach Station
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,675 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on , by Eric Polk of Lakewood, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement