Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Campus
In 1906, the seminary board purchased land at this site. With funds from the bequest of former Governor Francis R. Lubbock, a campus refectory (Lubbock Hall) was constructed in 1907. A second, larger building (later named Sampson Hall) was built to house dormitory rooms, offices, classrooms and the library. Both buildings were designed by Austin architect George Endress and constructed of buff brick with Mission Revival detailing. Five faculty homes were built on seminary property in 1909.
During World War I, the Presbyterian Seminary closed temporarily and leased its buildings to the United States Government until reopening in 1921. The seminary chapel, constructed in 1941, provided a strong focal point for the seminary campus. By 1996, Sampson Hall, Lubbock Hall and the original faculty homes had been razed to make room for other facilities.
The seminary’s relationship with the University of Texas, spurred by the proximity of the two campuses, continued to evolve over the years through regular classes, bible chair courses, lecture series and professor exchanges. Relocation to 27th street thus fulfilled President Sampson’s dream for many educational opportunities for students at both institutions.
Erected 2002 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12757.)
Location. 30° 17.501′ N, 97° 44.258′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E 27th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary (a few steps from this marker); Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red (within shouting distance of this marker); All Saints’ Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buen Retiro (approx. 0.2 miles away); Littlefield Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); J. Frank Dobie House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Penn and Nellie Wooldridge House (approx. half a mile away); Stanley and Emily Finch House (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 33 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 18, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?