Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of John Bremond & Company

 
 
Site of John Bremond & Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, November 18, 2007
1. Site of John Bremond & Company Marker
Inscription. New York native John Bremond (1813-1866) built a dry goods store at this site as early as 1847. Soon, his dry goods department faced Pecan (Sixth) Street, and the grocery department faced Brazos Street. Active civically, he served as a member of the group that encouraged the eventual construction of the Houston & Texas Central Railway, which was associated with Bremond's brother Paul.

John Bremond, a former firefighter, was instrumental in establishing Austin's first hook and ladder company. His sons Eugene and John, Jr., who were also active in the city's firefighting, joined him as business partners in 1865, forming John Bremond & Company. After their father's death the next year, the sons continued the business. In a back room of the store, Eugene operated a private loan operation that would become the State National Bank, or "Bremond's Bank." He sold his share of the family business in 1870 but continued operating the bank, which received its charter in 1882. John, Jr. then made his brother-in-law, John H. Robinson, Jr., a partner.

The John Henry Robinson family, proprietors of the J.H. Robinson & Son General Merchandise Store on Congress Avenue, was closely linked to the Bremonds, with three marriages among the children.

The Bremonds' store continued, shifting to wholesale operations after the railroad
Site of John Bremond & Company image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, November 18, 2007
2. Site of John Bremond & Company
The marker is at the lower center of the photo in this view, behind a tree.
came to Austin in 1871. In 1905, it became one of the early companies to roast, grind and distribute its own coffee, eventually shipping its products across the state.

The business moved a few blocks away in 1924 and finally closed its doors in 1967. At the time it was demolished in 1979, the two-story limestone building was reportedly the oldest commercial structure in Austin.
 
Erected 2003 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13153.)
 
Location. 30° 16.063′ N, 97° 44.499′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 E 6th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sixth Street (here, next to this marker); Driskill Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Littlefield Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Provident and Heierman Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scarbrough Building (about 400 feet away); Stephen F. Austin Hotel (about 400 feet away); Platt-Simpson Building (about 600 feet away); Paramount Theatre (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 504 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016.
Paid Advertisement