Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Addcox House

 
 
Addcox House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
1. Addcox House Marker
Inscription. Built in 1935 for Mary Susie Sheedy, this house changed hands three times before being purchased by University of Texas electrician Charles J. Addcox and his wife, Addie Lee, a homemaker and nursery school operator, in 1944. It became known as the “Red Rock House on the Corner.” An extraordinary eclectic structure, the house was crafted with mixed stone and brick veneer. The external walls feature petrified wood, limestone, honeycomb rock, volcanic rock, quartz crystal, fossilized shells and flint. Also of note is the wraparound porch with arched brick supports.
 
Erected 1999 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12238.)
 
Location. 30° 17.69′ N, 97° 43.421′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 E. 37th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stanley and Emily Finch House (approx. half a mile away); The Shipe House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Williams-Weigl House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Philquist-Wood House (approx. 0.7 miles away); J. Frank Dobie House
Addcox House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
2. Addcox House
(approx. 0.7 miles away); The LBJ Plaza (approx. 0.7 miles away); Replica of San Lorenzo Monument 1 (approx. 0.8 miles away); University Interscholastic League (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 699 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement