Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Titusville in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Pritchard House

1891

 
 
The Pritchard House 1891 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, December 22, 2009
1. The Pritchard House 1891 Marker
Inscription. Captain James Pritchard bought a lot from Mary Titus, and in the spring of 1891 contracted Pleasant J. Hall, who had built St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, to build a Queen Anne style house of heart pine. It appears today much like it did then. On the first floor is a main entrance hall, a stairway to the second floor, parlor and dining room. The kitchen was separated from the main living area by an open passage, now closed in with a side door. A narrow stairway ascends from the kitchen to the maid's room above. The second floor has four bedrooms with built-in closets. Only the master bedroom had access to the balcony. The passage between the main house and maid's room at the end of the hall later became a bathroom. A pipe connected to a hand pump located next to the tub carried water from the cistern below. The four fireplaces have original tiled hearths. The entrance hall light fixture is original. In 1888, Pritchard organized Titusville's first bank, built the first generating plant in 1890 - later sold to Florida Power and Light Co., and owned James Pritchard and Son Hardware Store. Pritchard family members had continuously lived in the house, until it was purchased by Brevard County in May 2005.
 
Erected 2005 by Brevard County Historical Commission. (Marker Number F-558.)
 
Location.
Captain James Pritchard House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, December 22, 2009
2. Captain James Pritchard House
Northeast corner of Captain James Pritchard & Mary Pritchard House with historical marker in the foreground.
28° 36.611′ N, 80° 48.47′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of South Washington Avenue and Pine Street, on the left when traveling north on South Washington Avenue. Click for map. North west corner of South Washington Avenue & Pine Street intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 South Washington Avenue, Titusville FL 32796, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Titus House (about 600 feet away); Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869 (about 700 feet away); Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Titusville Negro School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier (approx. 0.8 miles away); Oliver's Camp (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of First Church (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Titusville.
 
Regarding The Pritchard House. Located near downtown Titusville, the two-story wood-framed residence is the city's premier example of the Queen Anne architectural style. The house was built in 1891 for Captain James Pritchard and his wife, Mary. They moved to the town from St. Louis, Missouri, in 1876. Captain Pritchard organized the
Captain James Pritchard House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, December 22, 2009
3. Captain James Pritchard House
Southeast corner of Captain James Pritchard & Mary Pritchard House. Notice the beautiful Queen Anne architectural restoration with tower and balcony accessible by the master bedroom.
Indian River State Bank, incorporated in 1889, and served as its president. He also owned a hardware store located at what is now 327 S. Washington Avenue. Descendents of Captain Pritchard have continuously lived in the elegant home, which is locally known for its decorative Queen Anne woodwork and trimmings.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Captain James Pritchard House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, December 22, 2009
4. Captain James Pritchard House
South side view of Captain James Pritchard & Mary Pritchard House. Notice woodwork, brick chimney and 2-story octagonal tower.
Captain James Pritchard House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, December 22, 2009
5. Captain James Pritchard House
South side view of Captain James Pritchard & Mary Pritchard House featuring woodwork and chimney closeup. The Pritchard House is an outstanding example of the Queen Anne architecture, a distinctly American form that was popular from approximately 1876-1910. The house appears today much like it did when it was built in 1891.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,210 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement