Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Austin High School
Rio Grande Campus
In 1925 the Austin High School was moved to this location from a campus on the corner of Trinity and 9th, where the junior high was relocated. Additions to the complex here were completed later to accommodate the larger student body.
The late 1920s was a time of increased student involvement for Austin High. During those years the Red Jackets girls organization and the Red Dragon Drama Club were formed and the student newspaper, the Austin Maroon, began publication. In the 1930s, the nearby House Park Athletic Fields were developed. The school name was changed to Stephen F. Austin in 1953.
Used for high school classes until 1975. This site was later part of the Austin Community College system.
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6416.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pease School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Smith-Clark-Smith House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brizendine House (approx. 0.2 miles away); George W. Sampson Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fischer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel H. Caswell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mauthe-Myrick Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Christian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?