Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
During 1730-1731, Spanish friars located three missions here. Colorful settler William "Uncle Billy" Barton patented the land about 1837, naming two of the springs for his daughters Parthenia and Eliza. His two tame baby buffalos soon began to attract sightseers to his place, in spite of constant danger from Indian attacks.
As the place gained in popularity, one astute Austin merchant installed a merry-go-round here and rented bathing suits to swimmers. In 1871 he and several others built ice-making machines at the springs. In addition, flour mills, sawmills, and a quarry appeared along the creek banks.
About 1875 the riverboat "Sunbeam" ran excursions to Barton's at 50 cents a round trip. At one period a ferry was located here on a main road to Austin.
Between 1901 and 1913 A. J. Zilker, leading merchant, bought this land and in 1918 and 1931 deeded it to the people of Austin for use as a park.
Erected 1970 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6443.)
Location. Click for map. At Barton Springs Pool. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78746, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrew Jackson Zilker (here, next to this marker); Esperanza School Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Rocky Cliff (approx. 0.3 miles away); Swedish Log Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old I.V. Davis Homestead (approx. half a mile away); Clay Pit Bucket Tower (approx. half a mile away); Ashford McGill House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Austin High School (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Entertainment • Natural Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 905 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016.