“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Buddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound

Buddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 3, 2007
1. Buddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound Marker
Inscription. Albert and Rebecca Buddington built the first part of this compound as their home c. 1860. In 1921, it became the home of Dr. Harry Y. Benedict, a mathematician who served as University of Texas Professor and President. Delia Edwards, a later owner, commissioned Arthur Fehr to alter the original house and design an adjacent Rustic-style cottage with a fireplace mantel carved by Peter Mansbendel. Wilhelmine Sheffield, who bought the property in the 1940s, added another house and an enclosing wall, as well as ironwork crafted by Fortuanat Weigl and his company.
Erected 2004 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13232.)
Location. 30° 17.997′ N, 97° 44.337′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from West 34th Street near Guadelupe Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500-508 W 34th St, Austin TX 78705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jane Yelvington McCallum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jacob Leser House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Shipe House (approx. half a mile away); Austin State Hospital
Buddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 3, 2007
2. Buddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound
(approx. half a mile away); Stanley and Emily Finch House (approx. half a mile away); Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red (approx. 0.6 miles away); Elvira T. Manor Davis House (approx. 0.6 miles away); All Saintsí Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement