Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Central Christian Church
The Christian Church of Austin, as the congregation originally was known, acquired its first property at Eighth and Colorado Street and worshiped at that site until moving to this location in 1929. An early dispute over theological and procedural matters split the congregation in 1888. Until 1896, when the Rev.S .D. Dutcher was appointed pastor, leaders of the church were selected from among the laity.
The fellowship adopted its current name during the early years of the twentieth century, after other Disciples of Christ congregations had been organized in Austin. Although much growth has occurred in the outlying sections of the city, Central Christian Church has remained a vital force in the downtown area, its ministry has included the establishment of several other congregations. As one of the oldest churches in Austin, Central Christian has provided the city with significant service and leadership.
Erected 1985 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6417.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1110 Guadalupe Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zachary Taylor Fulmore (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church of Austin (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Third Site For Travis County Government (about 500 feet away); Brizendine House (about 700 feet away); Goodman Building (about 700 feet away); Terry Rangers Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wooldridge Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mauthe-Myrick Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . History of the Central Christian Church. Beginning in 1847, Central Christian Church of Austin grew slowly for several decades. The congregation, after the Civil War, was meeting in a log house on Congress Avenue between Fourth and Fifth streets. In 1867 a frame building was erected at Eighth and Colorado Streets and was used as a meeting place for the next five years. A two-story house with a basement for a Sunday School replaced the other building in 1872 as (Submitted on December 24, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016.