Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Edward's was not to open for several years, but Father Sorin sent Brother John of the Cross (Peter) Hanratty and Brother Maximus (Eugene) Petit to put the farm to use while school plans were pending. Arriving Sept. 21, 1874, they found a large dwelling house and other facilities, and gradually acquired livestock and tools. For years, Doyle Farm furnished food for St. Edward's staff and students, and later it was also to fund building programs. Brother Maximus lived out his days here. This marker stands near his grave. Since 1874 a great university has developed out of the gift of Mrs. Doyle and the work of the pioneering brothers of Holy Cross.
Location. 30° 13.284′ N, 97° 45.007′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 35 Frontage Road. Click for map. Marker is in Assumption Cemetery, off S I-35 behind Home Depot. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Edward’s University Main Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Magruder, C.S.A (approx. 0.8 miles away); Approximate Site Reached By the Espinosa-Olivares-Aguirre Expedition (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Original Skyline Club Sign (approx. 1.2 miles away); Walter Tips House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Texas Dental Association (approx. 1.4 miles away); Reuter House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Walter and Mae Simms House (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,147 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016.