“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Jesse Mercerís Home

Jesse Mercerís Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
1. Jesse Mercerís Home Marker
Inscription. This was the home of Jesse Mercer, pioneer Baptist preacher and largest contributor to the founding of Mercer Institute at Penfield, now Mercer University of Macon.

Jesse Mercer, born in North Carolina Dec. 16, 1769, was the son of Rev. Silas Mercer, a Baptist preacher who moved to Wilkes County in the early 1770s and founded several pioneer churches. He baptized Jesse Mercer at the age of 18, and the youth at once started holding prayer meetings in the log home of his grandmother. He married Miss Sabrina Chivers of the Phillipsí Mill Community when 19, and was ordained for the ministry at 20. Sardis Church, originally called Huttonís Fork, was Mr. Mercerís first charge. In 1796 he succeeded his father as pastor of the Phillipsí Mill Church, which he served for 39 years, baptizing 230 persons. He also served as Pastor of Bethesda Church (1796-1827); Powellís Creek Church in Hancock County (1797-1825); and the Baptist Church at Eatonton (1820-26).

Mr. Mercerís first wife died Sept. 23, 1826 and in his loneliness he moved to Washington. In December, 1827, he married Mrs. Nancy Simons, a wealthy widow, who joined him in large gifts to Mercer Institute.

Early in life Mr. Mercer had published a popular song book under the title “Mercerís Cluster.” In later years he published the Christian Index
Jesse Mercerís Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
2. Jesse Mercerís Home Marker
The marker, foreground, and the home in the background
and a Temperance paper in Washington. In 1828 he became pastor of the Washington Baptist Church, which he served until his death in 1841.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 44.263′ N, 82° 44.906′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of West Robert Toombs Avenue (Business U.S. 78) and North Mercer Street (Georgia Route 44), on the left when traveling west on West Robert Toombs Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Wilkes County Academy (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the Episcopal Church of the Mediator (approx. half a mile away); Site of the Confederate Commissary & Quartermaster's Stores (approx. half a mile away); Benson Block (approx. half a mile away); Post Office (approx. half a mile away); Slave Market (approx. half a mile away); Lindsey Chevrolet Co. (approx. half a mile away); First Building (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
Also see . . .
Jesse Mercerís Home image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
3. Jesse Mercerís Home
The oldest section of the home was built c. 1840, and was extensively remodelled in the 1870s, when the present facade and columns were added. It originally sat on a high basement, which was removed in the 1890s.
 The New Georgia Encyclopedia's biography of Jesse Mercer. (Submitted on January 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.EducationNotable Persons
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 787 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement