“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Thompsonville in Sullivan County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Town of Thompson

Town of Thompson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Rue, August 18, 2005
1. Town of Thompson Marker
The Town of Thompson was incorporated in 1803 in what was then still Ulster County, New York. The seat of Sullivan County (incorporated 1809), the Village of Monticello (founded 1804), is located within the Town of Thompson, several miles west of Thompsonville, in the same township.
Inscription. Named for Judge William A. Thompson, first Judge of Sullivan County, appointed 1803.
Erected 1940 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 41° 40.115′ N, 74° 37.516′ W. Marker is in Thompsonville, New York, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Heiden Road (County Route 161) 0.1 miles north of Thompsonville Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thompsonville NY 12784, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Holley (approx. 2.5 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of First House in Monticello (approx. 3.2 miles away); St John's Episcopal Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Methodist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Monticello Depot (approx. 3.5 miles away); Site of Toll House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Saint Josephs (approx. 7.1 miles away).
Regarding Town of Thompson. Judge Thompson, a native of Woodbury, Connecticut, was the oldest of eight children fathered by Hezekiah Thompson, a lawyer. William Thompson became a licensed attorney in 1784 and, after operating successful practices in Norwalk and Horseneck, Connecticut, as well as New York City, he
Grave of Judge William A. Thompson image. Click for full size.
By Tom Rue, August 18, 2005
2. Grave of Judge William A. Thompson
"Hon. Wm. A. Thompson, first Judge of Ulster & Sullivan Counties, born June 15, 1762, died Dec. 9, 1847", located in Thompson family cemetery about 500 yards from the Town of Thompson Marker (above).
came - with his second wife and three children to the area which would be come Sullivan County in 1794.

He built the township's first permanent settlement which he called Albion Mills (later known as Thompsonville), with a small log house for himself and his family, and later a sawmill and a grist mill on the Sheldrake Creek which was completed in the summer of 1796.

In 1802 Judge Thompson was appointed by Governor George Clinton one of the judges of the common pleas of Ulster County, and became that county's First Judge a year later. When Sullivan county was erected in 1809 he was its chief magistrate. He remained so until 1823 when he became ineligible by reason of his age. In his later career he became an authority on fossils and was a member of many learned societies. He lived to the age of 85, fathering 16 children and outliving three wives.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Thompson. (Submitted on December 26, 2009.)
2. Village of Monticello. (Submitted on December 26, 2009.)
3. Minutes of the Newburgh-Cochecton Turnpike Co., 13 June 1807. Filed with Judge William A. Thompson at the Ulster County Court House, Kingston, New York. (Submitted on December 26, 2009, by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York.) 
Categories. Notable PersonsPolitical Subdivisions
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York. This page has been viewed 787 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement