Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Austin
In 1854, under the Rev. John W. Phillips ( 1821-1891 ), the original church was sold and a new brick edifice built at Brazos and 10th Street. In 1884 Dr. A. E. Goodwyn (1818-1902) led construction of a larger building at that site. For a time this congregation was called Tenth Street Methodist Church. The members bought the present property in 1921 and built this Neo-Classical structure. Pastors instrumental in building and improving the present church facility include Dr. Edward R. Barcus (1872-1958), Dr. W. F. Bryan (1872-1965), Dr. Marvin S. Vance (1905-1966) and Dr. Robert S. Tate, Jr. (1914-1976). As Austin's second oldest Protestant congregation this fellowship has made significant contributions to the state's history.
Location. 30° 16.487′ N, 97° 44.567′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Lavaca St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goodman Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Christian Church (about 500 feet away); Terry Rangers Monument (about 500 feet away); Zachary Taylor Fulmore (about 600 feet away); Wahrenberger House (about 700 feet away); Price Daniel (about 700 feet away); Terry’s Texas Rangers Monument (about 700 feet away); Swedish Central Methodist Church (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church of Austin. (Submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 733 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016.