Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stratford in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza

 
 
Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 16, 2009
1. Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza Marker
Inscription.
Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza
Built in the late 1930s, the Merritt Parkway was designed for beauty as well as efficiency in traveling through southern Connecticut. The intent of the road was to bring the weary city driver into a restful park-like setting which was accomplished by landscape architect Weld T. Chase, and the head engineer, Earl Wood. George Dunkelberger added 68 unique and spectacular bridges which still stand today along the 37.5 mile road. Mr. Dunkelberger also designed the tollbooth plazas, the first of which opened in Greenwich in 1940.

When Connecticut decided it could use the revenue from a toll charge on the parkway, both the plaza and the single booth method were used. Eventually, there were three plazas built, one each at Greenwich, Milford and Wallingford. In 1940, gas was 20 cents a gallon, the toll was 10 cents, and the speed limit was 35 mph. It took about two hours to travel the 70 mile drive from Stratford to New York City, which was considerable improvement over the five hour trip on the Post Road.

The design of the plazas was rustic in nature to blend in with the environment. A cabin like design using logs and simple green wooden parts was chosen for these small structures. Almost 50 years later the state decided to end all tolls in Connecticut and those on the Merritt
Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 16, 2009
2. Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza
The marker is in front of the left lane.

The sign in the center reads:
Connecticut
Merritt Parkway
Toll Booth Plaza
1940 – 1988
Parkway closed in June of 1988. At that time, the Friends of Boothe Park, Inc. saved the toll booth plaza from the Milford site and had it moved and restored at Boothe Memorial Park and Museum are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Location. 41° 14.098′ N, 73° 6.605′ W. Marker is in Stratford, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker can be reached from Main Street (Connecticut Route 110) 0.1 miles from Manor Hill Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located in Boothe Memorial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Stratford CT 06614, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blacksmith Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Technocratic Cathedral (about 300 feet away); Clocktower Museum (about 400 feet away); Boothe Homestead (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Boothe Homestead (about 400 feet away); Liberty Rock (approx. 2.2 miles away); VFW Post 9460 Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Nichols, Conn. World War Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stratford.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 16, 2009
3. Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 2,750 times since then and 121 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement