Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Greek Revival rock and mortar house was built by Addison Frazer (1809-1873) between 1852 and 1854 and served as the center for a 2,000 acre cotton plantation. Frazer owned 100 slaves and was on the Board of Trustees of Auburn Masonic Female College and East Alabama Male College. The contractor from Kentucky used slave labor to build the eight rooms with 12 foot high ceilings and 18 inch exterior walls, two cantilever balconies and eight Doric columns. In the rear are the original separate kitchen, carriage - smokehouse and overseer's house. The Frazer family owned the house until 1922.
Marker Reverse :
In 1932, J. V. Brown, Head of Buildings and Grounds at Alabama Polytechnic Institute, now Auburn University, bought the house and began restoration. In 1941 he sold it and 251 acres to Dr. Luther Noble Duncan (1875-1947), who served as president of A. P. I. (1935-47). In 1943 his daughter, Elizabeth Pearson (Mrs. Allen M.), and family occupied the house and continued restoration. Mrs. Pearson inherited the house in 1951, collected its furnishings and named it Noble Hall. In 1972 it was the first building in Lee County to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1988 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission / Lee County
Location. 32° 38.364′ N, 85° 27.84′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is on Shelton Mill Road (County Route 97) ¾ mile north of East University Drive, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Auburn AL 36830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General James Henry Lane House (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Crescent (approx. 2.2 miles away); Scott-Yarbrough House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Dillard-Lawson House (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Baughman-Honour-Stiles House (approx. 2.4 miles away); City Hall (approx. 2.4 miles away); J. F. Drake High School / Alma Mater (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Auburn.
Categories. • African Americans • Agriculture • Antebellum South, US • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,511 times since then and 126 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.