Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Methodist Church

 
 
First Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
1. First Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1819, this Church is an outgrowth of Grantís Meeting House, the first Methodist Church building in Georgia, erected 5 miles E. in 1787. In 1820, the Methodists built the first church building in Washington. It was shared by other denominations. In 1823, Rev. Alexander Webster, first pastor of the Washington Presbyterian Church, was ordained there. A Methodist Sunday School was organized in 1871. A Womenís Missionary Society, started in 1878, was the first in the Conference. On the site of the first structure, a second, now the Masonic Temple, was erected in 1882. In this building, erected in 1907, the first Methodist Menís Club in Methodism was charted in 1919, during the pastorate of Rev. G.S. Frazer.

Bishop Francis Asbury visited Washington many times during his 17 trips to Georgia. He held the Second Methodist Conference in Georgia in the log Courthouse, near the site of the present Wilkes County Courthouse. Rev. Hope Hull and Rev. Lorenzo Dow were among the famous pioneer Circuit Riders to hold revival meetings in Washington. Rev. Lovick Pierce, leader in early Methodism, was the first recorded pastor of this church.
 
Erected 1958. (Marker Number 157-20.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher
First Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 13, 2015
2. First Methodist Church Marker
, and the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 44.14′ N, 82° 44.38′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street (Georgia Route 47) and West Liberty Street when traveling north on Spring Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Liberty Street, Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Post Office (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cleveland's Corner (about 400 feet away); William Dearing (about 400 feet away); Site of the Confederate Commissary & Quartermaster's Stores (about 400 feet away); Stage Coach Inn (about 400 feet away); Old Vault of the Citizens National Bank (about 400 feet away); Mary Willis Library (about 500 feet away); Busy Bee Cafe (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyAntebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
First Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
3. First Methodist Church and Marker
The church building was built in 1907
First Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 13, 2015
4. First Methodist Church Marker
First Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 13, 2015
5. First Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement