“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gainesville in Hall County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Bicentennial Park

Bicentennial Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
1. Bicentennial Park Marker
Inscription. This marker and plaza proudly acknowledges the significant contributions of John William Morrow, Jr., and countless citizens for the betterment of this community.

Born in 1918 in Hall County, John W. Morrow, Jr., graduated Booker T. Washington High in Atlanta and served with distinction in the United States Army during World War II. Upon his discharge from the military, he returned to his native community to begin an exemplary career of civic, religious and governmental service.

He was a founder of the Men’s Progressive Club in the 1940s and was one of the first minority members appointed to the Gainesville Board of Education in 1956. He commanded the American Legion Post 521, achieved the rank of Deputy Master of the Masonic Order and elected President of the Northwestern Baptist Sunday School Convention. At St. John, Morrow served as Sunday School superintendent, the Trustee Board and Chairman of the Board of Deacons.

A pioneer in government service, he was appointed to the City’s Charter Review Commission in 1977 and was the first black citizen elected to the City Council in 1978. He became Mayor Pro-tem in 1983-84. Council members elected him the city’s first black mayor in January, 1985. Again elected to the city council in 1986, 1990 and 1994, he served a second term as Mayor in 1993-94. He died
Bicentennial Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
2. Bicentennial Park Marker
St. John Baptist Church is in the background
during his fifth term in 1996.

It is permanently acknowledged that John William morrow, Jr. - - - humanitarian, pioneer and visionary --- reflected in his own life the words of President Lincoln, “. . . government of the people, by the people and for the people shall not perish from the Earth.”

This community extends its thanks to all immortalized on this site for tireless work for all humankind.
Erected 1998.
Location. 34° 17.683′ N, 83° 48.95′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Georgia, in Hall County. Marker is at the intersection of E. E. Butler Parkway (U.S. 129) and Myrtle Street (Georgia Route 11 Conn), on the right when traveling north on E. E. Butler Parkway. Click for map. The marker is on a walking trail, adjacent to the parking lot for St. John Baptist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 741 E. E. Butler Parkway, Gainesville GA 30501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Historic Piedmont Hotel (approx. half a mile away); Henry O. Ward (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lt.-Gen. James Longstreet (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lyman Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902
Bicentennial Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
3. Bicentennial Park Marker
The walking trail in Bicentennial Park, the marker, and St. John Baptist Church, looking north on E. E. Butler Parkway
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Federal Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); George Washington (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jesse Jewell (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gainesville.
Categories. 20th CenturyAfrican AmericansChurches, Etc.Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentNotable PersonsPolitics
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 746 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement