Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Apalachicola in Franklin County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards

 
 
Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Royal, December 28, 2009
1. Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker
Inscription. The Franklin Guards, a company of Infantry organized in Apalachicola in 1884 by J. H. Coombs and Fred Betterfield, erected the first building in the city to be used solely as an armory in 1898. Made of simulated brick, it was located at the corner of Hight Street and Center Avenue. On May 25, 1900, fire destroyed it and much of the downtown. On July 3, 1900, a committee was formed to build a new armory. The facility was designed by Frank and Thomas Lockwood of Columbus, Georgia and constructed by John H. Hecker. It was completed in 1901 at a cost of $12,000. The replacement armory features real brick walls and a gable roof with a gable parapet. Solid massing of the walls, slit windows, and a corner tower that resembles a medieval watchtower make this an imposing military structure. Fort Coombs is a unique example of "fortress architecture" in Florida, and has served as the military and social nexus of Apalachicola for more than a century. Units stationed here have been mobilized for service in World Wars I and II, the Gulf War and the War with Iraq. Bronze plaques located on the exterior front wall memorialize the names of generations of Apalachicola and Franklin County citizens who have served their State and Nation.
 
Erected 2004 by Florida Department of Military Affairs and the Florida Department
Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Jon Craig
2. Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker
of State. (Marker Number F-532.)
 
Location. 29° 43.587′ N, 84° 59.07′ W. Marker is in Apalachicola, Florida, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Avenue D, on the right when traveling east on 4th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 66 4th Street, Apalachicola FL 32320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Methodist Episcopal Church South (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. John Gorrie (about 500 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); The Raney House (about 700 feet away); William Augustus Bowles (approx. 11.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitaryNotable Buildings
 
Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Jon Craig
3. Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker
Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Jon Craig
4. Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker
Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Jon Craig
5. Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker
Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Jon Craig
6. Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker
Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Jon Craig
7. Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker
Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Royal, December 28, 2009
8. Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,405 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Jon Craig of Knoxville, Tennessee.   8. submitted on , by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Readable pictures of the bronze plaques located on the exterior front wall. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement