Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fowler in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Fowler's Switch

 
 
Fowler's Switch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson
1. Fowler's Switch Marker
Inscription. In 1872, the old Central Pacific Railroad, forerunner of the Southern Pacific, constructed a north-south line through the San Joaquin Valley, which opened the valley to commerce and settlement. The railroad contructed a switch a short distance south-easterly of this monument for loading cattle from the vast ranches of State Senator Thomas Fowler and others. The switch became known as Folwer's Switch. A town and a post office were established in 1882 and at that time the name was shortened to Fowler. Thus the construction of the railroad and the switch 100 years ago led to what became the City of Fowler.
Centennial Celebration
May 8, 1972
Jim Savage Chapter 1852
E Clampus Vitus

 
Erected 1972 by E Clampus Vitus, Jim Savage Chapter 1852.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 36° 37.767′ N, 119° 40.783′ W. Marker is in Fowler, California, in Fresno County. Marker is at the intersection of East Merced Street and South 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on East Merced Street. Click for map. At the corner of the Post Office parking lot across from the Ace Hardware. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 East Merced Street, Fowler CA 93625, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Fowler's Switch Dedication image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, 1972
2. Fowler's Switch Dedication
Photo is of he dedication in 1972, note picture in background of the old Fowler depot.
At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Groundwater Irrigation Beginnings (approx. 4.3 miles away); Selma (approx. 5.7 miles away); Frank Dusy (approx. 5.8 miles away); Moses J. Church (approx. 5.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Libby, McNeill and Libby Cannery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Easton / Washington Union High School District (approx. 6.3 miles away); Fresno Assembly Center (approx. 8.1 miles away); Sanger (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The History of Fowler. This YouTube podcast is presented by Mrs. Gravoian's students at John Sutter Middle School in Fowler. (Submitted on January 2, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Fowler's Switch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson
3. Fowler's Switch Marker
Senator Thomas Fowler image. Click for full size.
By Brady Rudulfson S E, circa 1872
4. Senator Thomas Fowler
Once owned most of the land where the railroad switch was located, thus it was called Fowler's Switch and the town became Fowler. Thomas Fowler served as a senator from 1869 to 1872.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,216 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.   2. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.   3. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.   4. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement