Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Limestone quarries were opened, 1882, to supply stone for capitol building in Austin. By 1886, ten carloads of stone were shipped daily over railroad which joined quarries with capitol grounds. It is estimated that one-third of capitol's walls are lined with limestone from Oak Hill quarries.
Erected 1969 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 12695.)
Location. 30° 14.059′ N, 97° 52.126′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on US-290, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78735, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Rock Store (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Johnson Smokehouse (approx. 4.1 miles away); Eanes-Marshall Ranch (approx. 4.5 miles away); Eanes School and Chapel (approx. Eanes Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Roberts-Teague Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Original Skyline Club Sign (approx. 6.1 miles away); Andrew Jackson Zilker (approx. 6.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. Oak Hill, Texas (Submitted on January 3, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 899 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016.