Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caldwell in Canyon County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

The College of Idaho

 
 
The College of Idaho Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rebecca Maxwell, January 1, 2010
1. The College of Idaho Marker
Inscription. Planned by the Presbyterians of southern Idaho in 1884 and opened with 19 students in 1891, this is Idaho's oldest college.

William Judson Boone, the founder, remained president 45 years. From a modest beginning with a faculty of 8 (including two later governors and a chief justice), it grew to full college status and moved in 1910 to this site, then an alkali desert. A Boise Valley electric railroad served the college, and an interurban station, always known as the "Hat," still stands on the campus as a reminder of the college's pioneer days.
 
Erected by Idaho Historical Society. (Marker Number 291.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 43° 39.328′ N, 116° 40.631′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Idaho, in Canyon County. Marker is at the intersection of Cleveland Boulevard and South 20th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Cleveland Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caldwell ID 83605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Emigrant Crossing (approx. 2.3 miles away); Peaceful Trading Turns Hostile
The College of Idaho Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rebecca Maxwell, January 1, 2010
2. The College of Idaho Marker
(approx. 3.7 miles away); Hostility Erupts Into Violence (approx. 3.7 miles away); To the Memory of the Pioneers (approx. 3.7 miles away); Violence is Avenged (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Ward Massacre (approx. 3.7 miles away); Lower Boise (approx. 7.8 miles away); Northwest Nazarene University (approx. 8.2 miles away).
 
Regarding The College of Idaho. In 1991, the name was changed to Albertson College of Idaho to honor alumnus and donor Joe Albertson and his wife Kathryn. In October 2007, the name was changed back to the College of Idaho.
 
Categories. EducationNotable Places
 
The College of Idaho Campus image. Click for full size.
By Rebecca Maxwell, January 1, 2010
3. The College of Idaho Campus
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. This page has been viewed 1,426 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement